Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Launch Notes

As I launch this blog I want to give you some background information so that you can see where I'm coming from.

My father was a pastor and the Dean of a Bible School. He was a wonderful man of God. My mother was a leader within the church and a Godly woman with a heart for the Gospel. They both also loved music. They loved God more and it was obvious!

I was brought to Christ and nurtured in my faith within the context of the Church. It was my home.

At 7 years of age my life was changed forever. On the trip home from one of my father’s speaking engagements, our family was in a horrific car accident. My father was killed.

My mother was left with no husband, little income, three young children and a fourth on the way.

As I grew older I became very bitter against God. My life reflected that bitterness. I was self destructive, broken-hearted and viciously angry.

It was the power of God working through contemporary music and worship that made the biggest impact on my life. It spoke my language. It reached my heart.

Many years have passed since that time. I have traveled throughout North America and parts of the world to visit churches and ministries through my concerts, workshops and conferences.

I have seen churches that have a passion for reaching the lost. I have also seen a growing hunger among churches to develop their worship services into a form that reaches those who are looking for the Gospel in their language. I hope that this blog will be an effective servant in helping to meet this need.

I hope that this is done in a balanced format that has a respect for the traditions of our church as well. While this book is generally oriented towards more “contemporary” expressions in worship, I want it to be clear that I love many different forms of music and worship. I have been deeply moved in highly liturgical settings as well as through new expressions. I love classical music as well as folk, rock, country and pop.

This blog is designed to be highly practical. It is not a blog of apologetics or vague theory. It revolves around ideas that have been tested and used all over the world in large and small churches. It is written for your church.

Most of all, I pray that God is honored in what is presented here. I pray that there is a respect for all positions and openness to different worship forms.

I welcome your feedback, including objections and affirmations.

1 comment:

  1. Arlen, So very excited to follow this blog! Thanks for taking the time to write it and share! God bless the journey!

    ReplyDelete